The Need for Pride Foundation
LGBTQIA+ people in Australia face significant disadvantage and vulnerability, being more likely to experience discrimination, violence and abuse, and social exclusion. Mental and physical health and wellbeing impacts are significant.
- LGBTQIA+ Australians experience more mental health problems due to discrimination, abuse and violence, and marginalisation.
- LGBTQIA+ Australians are less likely to access health services because they fear or have experienced discrimination from these services.
- LGBTQIA+ Australians with disabilities are at any even greater disadvantage than others with disability.
- LGBTQIA+ Australians are twice as likely to experience homelessness in their lifetime.
- LGBTQIA+ communities see little of their culture or creativity reflected in visual, literary, or performing arts; in addition, LGBTQIA artists, performers and producers have limited dedicated funding sources.